Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Eddie Haskell style Christianity

I love 'Leave it to Beaver'. If you've never watched it, you probably won't get the title reference. However since 83.7% of fundamentalists* long for an idealist American family life set in the 1950's, I'm sure you can relate. It dawned on me that many christians are like good ole' Edward G. Haskell. This is the guy with such a huge overactive sense of self worth, he makes Kanye West look humble. Their behavior in front of others is all about one upping you to oblivion. They are winners. You must acknowledge it, and feel below average. If your kid was saying the alphabet at age two, their kid was reading Shakespeare at age two. Your kid has a piano recital, his created an original musical score for the local church. Blah, blah, freakin, blah. (This is about the time you're ready to introduce them to an holy right hook.) Not only that, they have a level of passive aggressiveness that is legendary. Of course, you may not always know this fact. You just wonder why their casserole at the church potluck always tastes funny.....


*Made up statistic. Blank Certificate via 123certificates.com.


2 comments:

  1. It is super weirdo, but I like L.i.t.B, even when they went from black and whit to color. I dunno, it's not like it "does anything"for me, i just grew up watching it and the reruns. I can still whistle the ure....and there's no Gawd. Awesome buddy.

    Kriss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Kris! I'm following your blog now.

    ReplyDelete